The information in this article will help you know the process of Private Limited company registration in Malaysia as a foreigner. Moreover, it will discuss on cost and time requirement for foreign company registration. (In Malay: Maklumat ini akan membantu anda mengetahui proses pendaftaran syarikat Private Limited Malaysia sebagai warga asing, kos dan masa).
Foreign companies are registered or incorporated under company Act 1965. According to the requirement the company needs to have two directors, who are residing in Malaysia. However, two shareholders those can be foreigners. The member of Chartered Secretariat or member of SSM needs to be appointed for new company registration.
Requirement of Company Incorporation in Malaysia
- Ensure paid up capital of the company.
- Age of the directors should not be less than 18 (eighteen) years.
- No bankruptcy or convicted person can be appointed as director of the company.
- The Director should be residing as Malaysian.
Benefit of Opening Company
- Connecting with international business via holding foreign bank account is the most important to incorporate a business. Sdn Bhd company are allowed to open an account with foreign banks.
- Those banks are allowed to open the account as OCBC, UOB, Standard Chartered Bank.
- Remittance incoming and outgoing are made smoothly.
- Malaysia is being big country, you can choose preferable place for your factory or company setup.
- Manpower cost is comparatively reasonable and then Singapore.
- Stable political condition.
- The company director can apply for long time visa for staying in Malaysia with family.
Requirement of Company Setup
- Shareholder can open Sdn Bhd (private limited) company
- Minimum share capital is – Ringgit 4000.
- For long terms visa approval, show investment capital more than 1 million Ringgit.
- Overseas address, contact number, passport and local address are essential requirement for company registration.
- Any person can open company who is not bankruptcy and above age of 18 years.
Steps of company registration Malaysia for foreigner
Company Name Reservation
As section 22 of Company Act 1965, each company needs to have word “Berhad” at the end of the company name. In case of private limited company, there shall be name as “Sendirian” (that bears short name Sdn) which needs to be placed before Bhd. Company name registration is the first job before incorporation of the new company in Malaysia. RM 3 is required to pay for registration of each name of a company.
Paid Up Capital
Paid up capital shall be maintaining minimum RM 2 for each company where each shareholder shall hold RM 1 each. The foreign investor will remit RM 500,000 to the bank account as paid up capital of the company – in favor of immigration solution, hiring employees and holding the business visa.
Authorized capital fees chart
|From minimum number up to 400,000||1,000|
|From 400,001 –to 500,000||3,000|
|From 500,001 – to 1000000 (1 million)||5,000|
|From 1,000,001 – to 5000000 (5 million)||8,000|
|From 5,000,001 – to 1000000 (10 million)||10,000|
|From 10,000,001 – to 25 million||20,000|
|From 25,000,001 – to 50 million||40,000|
|From 50,000,001 – to 100 million||50,000|
|From 100,000,001 and above||70,000|
Form 24: Return of allotment of shares where the director’s subscription number of shares and fees are written. As section 54 (6) share subscription shall be allotted for the directors in Memorandum and Article of Association.
Form 44: As section 12 (1), 333 (1 A) and 335 (1) (D) notice of the situation of registered office and office hours and particulars are written. Office hours shall be starting from 9 am to 5. 30 pm and weekly office days are Monday to Friday.
Form 48 A: Statutory declaration by a person before appointment as a director that he/ she as a director is not convicted, not bankruptcy, not been imprisonment, not been sentenced for dishonest or fraud.
Form 49: Return giving particulars in register of the directors where directors name, nationality, date of birth, residential address, occupation, nature of appointment and identity number are written.
Memorandum & Article of Association
As Section 18 of Company Act 1965 requirement of Memorandum are as follows:
1. The first steps are:
- Name of the
- Objectives of the company
- Amount of share capital
- Liability of the
members Fullname, address, occupation and subscription shall be declared
2. Members hand writing of the number of holding shares
3. If unpaid the liability of shares are the share members
As section 29 of Company Act 1965 Article of
As form 44 each company shall maintain registered office address that can be separate from
Business address can be registered address or separate one address at any place of Malaysia. But
business license to operate a business in Malaysia
Export / import license
Under custom Act 1967 listed products can apply for import/ export license with proper supporting documents: Food, heavy machinery, toner, chemical, cable, iron steel
How to apply for import/ export license
1. Custom form
2. Memorandum and article of association
3. Form 24, 49,
Other supporting papers are
Click here to know more how to get/ apply import/ export license in Malaysia?
If you want to incorporate business-like consultancy, franchise, retail, export-import or restaurant you must need WRT license. WRT license is also required, if a foreigner own more than 50% shares. For this license registration, you must have physical office space and needs to have an exact point of business. However, it’s not difficult to obtain a WRT license if all the requirements are fellfield. Some important notes of WRT license a show below:
- If you hold more than 50% share, you must obtain WRT license.
- Malaysian local with more than 50% shares does not need WRT license.
- 100% foreign ownership company needs to show at least RM 1 million to obtain WRT license.
- WRT license is required for work permit application.
Halal license is required for business category like- Manufacturer, repackaging, distributor, food premises, packaging material etc. The process for obtaining halal license are shown below.
- Certificate company of company registration.
- A copy of operative license from local authority.
- Financial state of the company/business.
- Xerox copy of identification card of at least 2 Muslim Malaysian citizens, including letter of appointment.
- Approval letter from ministry of health or national drug authority
- Import license copy for any types of raw material.
- Location/ address of the premises.
For selling any types of liquor or alcoholic beverage it is necessary to have liquor license. As your premises is serving alcohol, it does not matter weather it is beer or alcohol you will fall under the jurisdiction (“Excise Act 1976” and “Section 35”) of local authority.
However, it’s not easy to obtain this license. Beside paper
safeguard your business, it is essential to have a valid signboard license.
Once you obtain a business license, now you need to get a signboard license for
your business. The documents or
information required varies from place to place, but generally, you need to
submit your signboard artwork to the “Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka” for
verification and the approval for proper use of Bahasa Malayu texts in the
signboard. Once everything is approved, you can obtain signboard license from
Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lampur.
Required documents of registering a company
Passport copy: Passport copy of the two directors
Signed forms: Each director shall put
Fees: Government fees with consultancy fees shall be paid to encourage the Company Secretary
Fees/ cost/ price of new company registration in Malaysia for foreigner
We shall charge US$ 2999 for small companies, US$ 3900 for medium enterprises and US$ 4500 for large companies. The said fees are including government and our professional fees. (Malay: Kami akan mengenakan caj sebanyak AS $ 2999 untuk syarikat-syarikat kecil, US $ 3900 untuk perusahaan sederhana dan US $ 4500 untuk syarikat-syarikat besar. Bayaran tersebut termasuk kerajaan dan yuran profesional kami).
Fees schedule as follows:-
|Company registration by SSM, super form buys, Secretary service 1-year, virtual office address use 1 year and bank account open support||Incorporation||4000|
|Apply for signboard and premise license||Signboard & Premise||2000|
|Apply for export and import license and assist to prepare require documents.||Export & Import||4000|
|Apply for WRT license and assist to prepare require documents.||WRT||4000|
|Kinder garden school license, Halal License and many more||Dagang.net||Fees vary (Contact us)|
|You can add your parent company name, product name along with company name.||Notification||1000|
|Apply for Trademark license and assist to prepare require documents.||Trade Mark||5000|
Jobs after company registration/ incorporation
Directors shall visit physically in Malaysia to open company account. Now a day bank account opening is more challenging than company incorporation. Local banks discourage to open
As the economy of Malaysia is rising, more foreign investors are willing to invest in the country. Doing business in Malaysia is comparatively profitable than other South Asian Country. Though the business in Malaysia is profitable obtaining business registration is not an easy process. Many foreigners want to start a business in Malaysia, but do not know the company registration process.
Since 2012 S & F Consulting Firm is helping foreign investors to set up business in Malaysia. We have an expert professional who has a vast knowledge of foreign company registration. Our primary target is to maintain customer satisfaction through our service.
Address: A-15-03 Tropicana Avenue, No 12 Persiaran Tropicana, Tropicana Golf & Country Resort PJU3, 47410 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Contact: +601136901890 (Available WhatsApp)
Call Us For Following Licenses:
1). Company Incorporation
2). Signboard & Premise License
3). WRT License
4). Export and Import
5). EPF and SOCSO
6). Long Time Visa and MM2H