Malaysia accompanies various business criteria to carry out trade and commerce in the nation. Public limited company in Malaysia is one of such criterion. The suffix denotes for this type of company in Malaysia is Berhad or BHD. When a private limited company in Malaysia has the suffix Sendirian Berhad (SDN BHD), a Public limited company just use Berhad (BHD).
Once you are on the field ready to invest for your business in this land, you got to understand each type of business that is valid in Malaysia. Therefore, before step straight into the public limited company in Malaysia, let’s see what are the other options of business available in this nation.
Types of company in Malaysia
There are several types of companies allowed to carry out business here. Among those, below are four of the most popular types of company formations in Malaysia:
- Public Limited Company(Berhad)
- Private Limited Company (Sdn Bhd)
- Sole proprietorship
Key features of a Public Limited Company or Berhad (BHD)
- The Berhad or BHD denotes Public Limited Company in Malaysia
- Like Private Limited Company (SDN BHD), Public Limited Company also issues shares. Although there is a limited number of shares this company can issue.
- Financial statement of a BHD company bound to be disclosed before the public whereas, in the case of SDN BHD this policy is much more liberal.
- Berhad companies are all big businesses, unlike private limited companies which are usually preferred to be small to mid-sized enterprises.
- BHD company needs to have a minimum of shareholders, and this number can go up to unlimited unlike SDN BHD, which limits the maximum of fifty shareholders.
- The incorporation process of a public limited company is pretty much similar to that of a private limited. However, there are some alterations in Article of Association, which limits the number of shareholders to up to fifty in SDN BHD.
- Another feature of BHD is that such a company has greater access to finance in contrast with SDN BHD in Malaysia.
List of some prominent Public Limited Company in Malaysia
Malaysia is a home of several public limited company Berhad (BHD). These companies are renowned at a national as well as international platforms.
Here is the list of these high ranked Berhad enterprises in Malaysia:
- Maybank Bhd
- RHB Bank Bhd
- Public Bank Bhd
- AmBank Group Bhd
- Petronas Chemicals Group Bhd
- Axiata Group Bhd
- CIMB Group Holdings Bhd
- Hong Leong Financial Group Bhd
- Sime Darby Bhd
- Sime Darby Plantation Bhd
- Tenaga Nasional Bhd
- Maxis Bhd
Malaysia is a home of several other public limited companies, which put regular contributions in the national economy. However, when it is about economic growth, every other type of companies have their equal and important contributions.
In the end, the above mentioned public limited businesses are so strong at their own platform that, an international business ranking body such as Forbs ranked those public limited company in Malaysia accordingly for their superior commercial contributions.